Sunday, November 26, 2006

Woman in the Widow



Dear Q.,

I do not want to apologize in a manner that seems only to passingly console you for the pain I believe I must have caused by my accusations. It was only a dream - in reality I am a normal man like others. But rather, in our unconscious, in the real of our desire, we are all murderers. I was playing out something against you that in no way belongs to you, namely my suspicion against the unlawful use of force or violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a monarchy, government, civilian population, or any segment thereof, for the purpose of insidious objectives. That you should fall under my gaze was a matter of timing and nothing more. There are those who subscribe to the view that I enjoy nothing more than using, abusing, and controlling my fellow human beings. This is why some observers have stated that Hamlet is a new breed, leaping on the notion that I am a prisoner, a predatory hitchhiker confined by the same walls he stalks exclusively. Well, they can talk! These same people claim also that if my plans go awry for any reason (I am thinking here particularly of my crimson mother), I tend to use friends as convenient scapegoats ... Of course, after you play that card, you have lost your friend forever, which I hope is not the case with you. It is generally best not to mix work with friendship, which, unfortunately, I fear I have done. You could put it another way, however. I am prepared for self-analysis, and my affection for you makes me willing to take chances.

H.